On 5/5/2010 1:30 PM, Andy Schmidt wrote:

Hi Dave,

Hm – yes,I think if you added 21 lines (from -10 to 0 and to +10) to the config file, you would have could cover the reputation range from -1 to +1  in 0.1 step increments.

Not elegant – but would have the same effect as multiplying the reputation range with the defined max weight.

I hate to muddy the waters further -- but we solved this problem once when developing the envelope management bit of GBUdb.
It might be complicated to explain, but suppose you define the slope at a given point for each line you specify and then have the resulting weight be a linear transform (as was discussed before).

Then you would need only two entries by default...
One that describes full-scale + and another that defines full scale -.
If you find the need to alter the slope then you can add additional points in between.
The math works by drawing a straight line from 0 to the next defined point, and from that point to the extreme, and so on.

Personally I think it is overkill -- but if you're going to talk about making many many lines for this then the multi-point curve interpolation is the way to go.

In practice the best way _seems_ to be to provide only two slopes -- one positive going, one negative going -- and to establish a weight based on those slopes. Theoretically that could be defined on a single Declude test definition line.

Is there some constraint that I don't know about causing folks to consider more complexity?

Hope this is helpful,

_M

--
President