In this case, the outbound Smartermail gateway whitelists the IP addresses
of numerous exchange servers that relay through it.  The virus problem we
had a couple weeks ago was one of our client's local users was infected on
one of the networks that hosts the exchange server.  It pumped the mail out
through the exchange server (which is locked down to only communicate with
our smtp server) but that didn't matter here.  It was an authorized local
user, so the path was clear.

The overall problem though is that, since mail programs, as far as I know
for the most part, bind themselves to a single IP, then all of your
customers on that box are dependent on that IP's reputation.  If it sours at
all, then everyone else is also affected.  Sure, you can change that IP
pretty quick, but we work hard to keep the regular relationship with AOL
Postmaster, Yahoo Postmaster, etc, which I think is desirable, yes?  I don't
want to be a fly by night relay operator.

How do you compete with people like Google's Postini, who will let you relay
through them, thus limiting the risk/reward to a single customer?

I'm feeling a little pressure to abandon the whole SmarterMail / Declude /
INVURIBL / MessageSniffer / INVALUEMENT model I currently use (soon, with
Alligate!) and just go with Postini, etc.

I'm a long, long way from seriously considering it, because I can react to
problems much much faster and more surgically than a big service, but when I
face problems like this outbound list thing (I ended up on Symantec's
Brightmail list for about 8 hours and I can't get anyone to tell me why) I
simply don't know what to do to protect my customers.

Which is why I thought I'd ask about what other people do J

Very Respectfully,

Michael Cummins

http://www.cummins.us | mich...@cummins.us