From: supp...@declude.com [mailto:supp...@declude.com] On Behalf Of Bonno
Bloksma
Sent: Sunday, July 04, 2010 4:37 AM
To: Declude.JunkMail@declude.com
Subject: [Declude.JunkMail] dns servers for declude

Hi,

I have 5 sites and 5 dns servers. Each is primary for it's own site and
secondary for another site. I can survive any single dns server failure
except.... when it comes to Declude.

A long time ago we were told Declude does not properly follow the Windows
settings for primary, secondary and if neccesary tertiary dns server and we
needed to provide ONE dns server in the Declude config.

After a Declude upgrade a while ago I started with a fresh default config
file and noticed the dns settings were comented so I left them at that and
assumed Declude would one again use the same dns servers Windows has
configured.

Unfortunately the dns server reponsible for the site where the mailserver is
failed yesterday for most of the day after a problem during maintenance. The
secondary server took over for just about all servers / services except the
Declude service. Mail was realy slow of course. :-(

Is the problem that prevented us in the past from defining more then one dns
server finaly resolved? Can I have a secondary dns server in Declude today?
If not now, when can I?

I know I can solve the problem for Declude by using a cluster of dns servers
with one public ip-number but.... I have not done anything with clusters yet
and:

 - my current dns servers have a load of close to nothing

 - my current dns servers are also my Active Directory DCs

Yes, we will have virtual servers pretty soon too so I can have fast fail
over on the dns server But...

What if I want to do a fail over to my backup site? The mail server might
still want to use the dns server at my primary site which will probably have
a problem because I have switched to the backup site. Any clustering of dns
servers at my primary site would then still be usesless. I simply want
Declude to use any of the 5 dns servers I have today.

Met vriendelijke groet,
Bonno Bloksma
senior systeembeheerder

tio