On 12/6/2010 2:47 PM, Colbeck, Andrew wrote:
I have the same position as Scott.

I find that the MessageSniffer product from ARM Research is the most reliable
test

<snip/>

Hotmail in particular would be less effective for the bad guys if I had an
antispam tool that would determine from the headers that the sender was from
Hotmail (or others) and then check the

<snip/>

I've suggested it before but vendors are, quite reasonably, leery of building
into their product a feature that is specific to a few providers while being
prone to false positives.

Actually, if I may, Message Sniffer has precisely that feature built into GBUdb training.

Specifically, you can tell Message Sniffer to identify the source IP for the message based on the presence of a specific header. This feature was designed specifically for hotmail and other systems that provide a source IP for one reason or another -- (perhaps complex internal routing).

For configuration information see:

http://www.armresearch.com/support/articles/software/snfServer/config/node/gbudb/training/source.jsp
http://www.armresearch.com/support/articles/software/snfServer/config/node/gbudb/training/source-header.jsp

If you configure this training mechanism for GBUdb in your Message Sniffer engine then GBUdb will become much more accurate for messages coming through that source.

Best,

_M

--
Pete McNeil, President