> > >We need to enable SMTP AUTH for all of our clients -- we've found some
> > >device/person (IP) on the outside of our network spoofing emails to lists
> > >by the few users who are authorized list posters.
> >
> > However, I don't believe that will prevent people from sending mail to the
> > list using forged return addresses, since SMTP AUTH only applies to
> > outgoing (relayed) E-mail.
>
>In reply, doesn't IMail (SMTP AUTH) not allow email to be relayed unless a
>password is supplied during login?   If that is true -- then how could
>someone forge a return address without having a password to send mail?

If you require SMTP AUTH, then users have to supply a valid E-mail address
and password.  However, that only applies to *relayed* mail (outgoing
mail).  For incoming mail (such as to a mailing list), SMTP AUTH is not
required (or else you wouldn't be able to receive any mail from anyone who
didn't have an account on the server).