I do believe that JunkMail Pro can be used to look at the base64 code of the message, and if you can pull the proper header out, you can tag the attachment type. This is what I was looking to do when I was asking for someone to send me a copy of the virus early on, apparently there is a one character difference between normal zips and password protected ones.

Matt



R. Scott Perry wrote:


That is exactly why I suggested scanning for file types instead of
extension.  I think Scott mentioned that they need to include full MIME
decoding before something like that would be possible.

Scott, how feasible is this idea for inclusion?


I'm not sure exactly what the idea is. Some of the ideas suggested are already available (such as scanning all attachments, regardless of extension).

For Declude Virus, there is no issue of MIME decoding -- Declude Virus complete "MIME decodes" each E-mail.

We can attempt to determine the file type without looking at the extension, and should be able to accurately detect most .EXEs, and all .ZIP files. But it would still not be possible to accurately detect batch files, scripts, etc. (without a huge amount of resources being used to create the test and use it). However, if we *do* do that (as was the case with 1.78i7 and .ZIP files, where it would detect them regardless of extension), it poses a problem: Most people right now want to be able to send .ZIP files. There would need to be many options set up to implement something like this.

-Scott
---
Declude JunkMail: The advanced anti-spam solution for IMail mailservers since 2000.
Declude Virus: Catches known viruses and is the leader in mailserver vulnerability detection.
Find out what you've been missing: Ask for a free 30-day evaluation.


---
[This E-mail was scanned for viruses by Declude Virus (http://www.declude.com)]


---
This E-mail came from the Declude.Virus mailing list.  To
unsubscribe, just send an E-mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED], and
type "unsubscribe Declude.Virus".    The archives can be found
at http://www.mail-archive.com.



-- ===================================================== MailPure custom filters for Declude JunkMail Pro. http://www.mailpure.com/software/ =====================================================


--- [This E-mail was scanned for viruses by Declude Virus (http://www.declude.com)]

---
This E-mail came from the Declude.Virus mailing list.  To
unsubscribe, just send an E-mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED], and
type "unsubscribe Declude.Virus".    The archives can be found
at http://www.mail-archive.com.

Reply via email to