-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of R. Scott Perry
Sent: Friday, April 16, 2004 9:48 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: X-SPAM-Phrase Re: [Declude.Virus] MAXATONCE Switch

>Your recommendation is MAXATONCE O allows unlimited processes to run at the
>same time.

Correct.

>Setting the switch to 8 or 10 will make SMTP hangs or become slower?

It is unlikely to make much of a difference, because [1] SMTP hangs should
not be related to the resources used by the virus scanner, and [2] it is
unlikely that you will have 8-10 virus scanners processes running at the
same time.

The MAXATONCE option was originally designed for people who have licensing
arrangements where they can only have a certain number of copies of the
virus scanner running simultaneously.

>Is you recommendation to set it to unlimited?

Yes.

>SMTP is now very slow after applying MSFT patches (apr 14). Sometimes smtp
>service just hangs.

For some reason, some servers have a horrible time handling too many 16-bit
processes, and end up causing serious delays in TCP/IP connections like you
describe.

Are you using a 16-bit virus scanner (such as F-Prot.exe) with Declude
Virus?  If so, I would recommend switching to a 32-bit scanner (such as
F-Prot's fpcmd.exe), which will likely help alleviate the problem.

Declude JunkMail: The advanced anti-spam solution for IMail mailservers
since 2000.
Declude Virus: Ultra reliable virus detection and the leader in mailserver
vulnerability detection.
Find out what you've been missing: Ask for a free 30-day evaluation.

______
[Email scanned for viruses by Panda Consulting -www.pandacons.com-]
[Email escaneado contra virus por Panda Consulting -www.pandacons.com-]

______
[Email scanned for viruses by Panda Consulting -www.pandacons.com-]
[Email escaneado contra virus por Panda Consulting -www.pandacons.com-]

[AUTOMATED NOTE: Your mail server [129.250.225.148] is missing a reverse DNS entry.
All Internet hosts are required to have a reverse DNS entry. The missing reverse DNS
entry will cause your mail to be treated as spam on some servers, such as AOL.]