|
Well, I still see Code Red connection attempts occasionally in my firewall logs.
John Tolmachoff Engineer/Consultant/Owner eServices For You
-----Original Message-----
John Tolmachoff (Lists) wrote: <>However,
the post I was responding to was questioning whether or not there was an actual
vulnerability, not what to do with it. What you define it as is subjective. There is no
exploit present in the messages that are being blocked, and the true
vulnerability exists not in the E-mail but in Outlook, and I believe that a
patch was issued quite a while ago for it. Declude doesn't detect an
actual exploit, just the precursors for the exploit, in this case a line in the
headers with a single space. Clearly this is not RFC compliant, but we
also don't live in a perfect world. I like the idea of being able to
detect this, but I would only turn it on after finding out that there was code
in the wild that was actively exploiting it. There would be no need to
turn off the vulnerability detection in Declude if the exploit code was
detected in association with the condition because that would seem to be a
perfect hit, but considering the time involved to create a suitable parsing
engine to do this, it seems like a better idea to just provide the
granularity. I believe that the exploit in this case simply
creates the ability to bypass virus scanners by putting the attachment in the
message headers, and Outlook will read the attachment despite it being
misplaced/malformed. That in itself won't infect a computer, but it does
make it easy to get past virus scanning software. -- =====================================================MailPure custom filters for Declude JunkMail Pro.http://www.mailpure.com/software/===================================================== |
- RE: [Declude.Virus] Paypal and "Outlook 'Bl... David Maynard
- RE: [Declude.Virus] Paypal and "Outloo... John Tolmachoff \(Lists\)
- Re: [Declude.Virus] Paypal and "Ou... Matt
- RE: [Declude.Virus] Paypal and &quo... John Tolmachoff \(Lists\)
- Re: [Declude.Virus] Paypal and ... Matt
- RE: [Declude.Virus] Paypal... John Tolmachoff \(Lists\)
- RE: [Declude.Virus] Paypal and "Outloo... R. Scott Perry
