From: Matt [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, December 10, 2004 3:58 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [Declude.Virus] Multiple responses in the report.txt

Andrew,

A separate instance is set up for each message's attachments that are
scanned, there is no cause for any concern.  MAXATONCE was designed for
licensing reasons and shouldn't be used in most installations.  If you
set MAXATONCE below the number of processes that might be launched (this

is a highly variable number), then it will cause overflow to occur or
otherwise backup your system needlessly.

Regarding your other question, I believe that you are seeing this
because you are using the /ai switch.  I don't use that switch, though I

couldn't say why exactly.  I have found however with many such things
that their definitions of a non-virus that throw off such things might
vary widely and include things such as encrypted zip files, something
that Declude handles more flexibly.  It's always a good idea to get as
much information about new or alternative switches before using them.  I

have found info in KB's, release notes, and also by E-mailing the
companies.  These things aren't always as descriptive as you might want,

so dig deep.

I would also very strongly recommend a second scanner.  Simply put,
things will sometimes not function properly.  There have been at least 4

occasions in about a year that F-Prot has messed up and would have
caused significant virus leaking.  Currently I would recommend McAfee,
but I would recommend ClamAV after a period of stability emerges since
the daemon is faster than anything but F-Prot.  McAfee is of course a
bit more responsible with their definitions, so if capacity isn't a
problem, I would use that over ClamAV regardless.

Matt

Colbeck, Andrew wrote:

>I'm using the f-prot command line scanner, and the lines in the
>virus.cfg look like this:
>
>SCANFILE        C:\F-Prot\fpcmd.exe /ai /type /silent /archive=5 /dumb
>/noboot /nomem /packed /report=report.txt
>VIRUSCODE 3
>VIRUSCODE 6
>REPORT  Infection:
>
>That's working fine, but in my testing I'm only putting a few messages
>through at a time.  I note that the /report variable is setting one
>specific filename.  What happens when two or more declude processes are

>launched and both want to call the virus scanner at the same time?  I
>realize that scanning is relatively quick, but I can see that
>collisions would result.
>
>If Declude doesn't handle this internally to set a different report
>name per instance, then I think paranoia would pushe me to set
>MAXATONCE 1 ... ?
>
>Andrew.
>

>_
>---
>[This E-mail was scanned for viruses by Declude Virus
>(http://www.declude.com)]
>
>---
>This E-mail came from the Declude.Virus mailing list.  To unsubscribe,
>just send an E-mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED], and
>type "unsubscribe Declude.Virus".    The archives can be found
>at http://www.mail-archive.com.

MailPure custom filters for Declude JunkMail Pro.
http://www.mailpure.com/software/