I think it really depends on your volume if you will see this. Also, if you have already tweaked your "WAITFORMAIL" you may not see it as well. On my system during off peak hours I get on anverage between 75-100 messages per minute. What you will see is Declude will spawn up to 20 or so threads (I modified my threads value to keep up with volume) and process the messages. Once the decludeproc finishes processing that round of messages it will stop using any CPU time and sit idle for roughly 30 seconds. Once it sleeps for 30 seconds it will start to process messages again. See snippet of log 09/22/2005 21:38:43.703 q5c96523a026274b2.smd Successfully move [x:\IMail\spool\proc\work\q5c96523a026274b2.smd] to [x:\SPAM-HOLD\22Sep2005\q5c96523a026274b2.smd] 09/22/2005 21:39:08.968 q5c646c64029c7469.smd CFG: Set hop to 0. What occurs on my system is that the initial process completes and there is still messages in the /proc directory, but instead of grabbing more messages out of the /proc directory Declude goes to sleep. During the time it sleeps even more messages come in. Essentially what occurs is the amount of mail in the /proc folder just climbs steadily. Now I switched the "WAITFORMAIL" setting down to 1 second, but under those settings it appears to chew up an inordinate amount of CPU. I am still tweaking the values for a balance. The box is a Dell PowerEdge 2600 Dual Xeon with HT enabled with 4GB of RAM. Fresh install of Windows 2003 running Imail 8.15 HF 2. The box is only used for gatewaying. I guess the moral of the story is you would not really see this (if it affects you) only if the volume the box is processing is more than what the normal /work queue runs can handle. You could probably easily test this by increasing your "WAITFORMAIL" setting to a couple of minutes. If you are not affected by this than your system will continue to function properly and process the mail in the /proc folder as it should. If it is affected by it you would see files still in the proc folder and Declude go to sleep for that specified period of time. The key thing is that you would have to watch the proc folder since normal operation would be for the decludeproc service to go to sleep if no files existed in the folder. Darrell
Check out http://www.invariantsystems.com for utilities for Declude And Imail. IMail/Declude Overflow Queue Monitoring, SURBL/URI integration, MRTG Integration, and Log Parsers.

Andy Schmidt writes:
Hi Nick:
I'm only repeating what I'm told - I don't have factual information on my
own.
There have been several reports on this list that describes the following
problem with dual-processor systems:
Declude is supposed to check the /proc folder and ONLY go to sleep (for 30
seconds), if the folder contains no messages. On systems that have that
problem, Declude goes to sleep even though there ARE messages to process. The result is, that messages are queuing up and never get processed.
There is a parameter to set the sleep time low (e.g. 1 second), this way,
the effect of the problem is less - but now Declude does't go to sleep when
it actually could - with a possible impact on resource consumption.

(Of course, the question is why this appears to be related to dual-processor
systems.  May be one process still has an access lock against the first file
in the "proc" folder and another process doesn't handle that error condition
right - who knows.)

Best Regards
Andy Schmidt
Phone:  +1 201 934-3414 x20 (Business)