Bob, drop an email to the handler on duty at http://isc.sans.org/ for
some general advice.  They may also have some specific reference to
point you to regarding a vulnerability or they may recognize the modus
operandi of what you saw.  I don't recognize it, myself.

Generally speaking, your best bet is to take that machine offline and
rebuild it from known good sources.

Andrew 8)