> If an application inserted a new record into a table that another
> application was looking at, would the other application receive the
> before / after post events?  The table could be residing on the same or
> another machine.  I haven't actually tried this myself, I was wondering
> if anybody knew off the tops of their heads :)

No there (traditionally) is no back-channel from the database to the client
(I think the IBAlerter component provides this for Interbase however)... It
would be a nice feature if all (server) databases provided this and one of
the clear benefits to a 3 tier model... Your best option is probably to have
a user specifiable refresh rate or make the user aware that the data they
are seeing is the result of a transaction and that data may be being
changed behind the scenes...

--
Aaron Scott-Boddendijk
Jump Productions