> No there (traditionally) is no back-channel from the database to the client
> (I think the IBAlerter component provides this for Interbase however)... It
> would be a nice feature if all (server) databases provided this and one of
> the clear benefits to a 3 tier model... Your best option is probably to have
> a user specifiable refresh rate or make the user aware that the data they
> are seeing is the result of a transaction and that data may be being
> changed behind the scenes...

Thanks Aaron,  the user specifiable refresh rate is what I have running now,
kind of a polling mechanism I guess.  I was wondering how I would go about
replacing that with an event driven version, I will have a look at that
IBAlerter and go from there.  Any other recommendations would be welcome...

Many thanks

Tony Sinclair
Holliday Group Limited
Chirstchurch