Nic

Good to see you working on the weekend - hah

> well, can you do "proper" cascade deletes? ie, delete from the master
table,
> remove the children automatically?

Declaritively not in 6.5 but in 2000 yes - but I use triggers to enforce RI
anyway so yes

> 2/ CASE, COALESCE and NULLIF (also ansi)

Def ANSII

> MSSQL _does_ have a better function library tho - its rather nifty :)

I think that was more my point than a 'decent' script language

> > 3/ User Defined Functions. (and don't say UDL's)

No not xp's under 2000 you have UDF's

> I think what most people on this list need is a light weight, low cost,
> low maintenance database for projects which would have otherwise
> used something like Paradox. IB fits that _perfectly_.

So unfortunately does MSDE - and don't dump that small footprint dogma
on me because at 64Mb ram at $75 and 15Gb disk at $200  it is irrelevant.
You either
pitch IB as a 'light weight, low cost, low maintenance database' ie imbedded
or as
a serious contender in the C/S market but not both. Having worked with both
(prob a statement only you (nic) and I can make!) I hit brick walls in IB
first.

Sidebar here - We are running into probs out there with disparate memory
prices (for EDO
SIMMs for example). A recent case $540 for 64Mb in EDO Simms or $75 for 64mb
DIMM and
$220 for a new Motherboard with 300Mhx AMD. Also I note that when we set up
Linux for
firewalling and mail serving - it required 64Mb. Fun next week getting our
first 1Gig Athalon

> Nope, and personally, <removes inprise hat, if he can find it> I'm not
sure
> _what_ the purpose of Kylix is, aside from a really cool project for the
R&D
> lads and lasses. Hopefully, you will all rush out buy it and we will make
> Q2's budget in April :) . Or maybe not. Kinda hope so tho - I'd like to
have
> May and June off :)

Kylix ie CLX for me is risk management - If you look at the tools that are
coming out like QT/VNC and
poss LBX I can see a definate alternative to MS/Metaframe/ICA for the ASP
market,
They are both similar tech's and where the slugfest will be in the next few
years,
Kylix is perfect because it supports both and has and IDE and is nice to
write....

Have a good saturday night

Neven