> > I don't like think I like his remark about Linux on the desktop though.
> > The latest KDE or Gnome are much nicer to use than Windows XP with its
> > Fisher Price baby toy look and feel.

But, er this is configurable. Fisher Price is good for a lot of people as
that is exactly the level of competence they are at. The KDE and Gnome
environments are also an attempt to cover up an extremely bad windowing
system - aka X-Windows - which is probably the most appalling windowing
product in existence short of one I'd write myself. It is slow, cumbersome,
badly supported with device drivers, excruciatingly difficult to set up if
you are not bulk-standard (depending on whose distribution what bulk
standard means) and has the performance of a pig with two legs. Until
X-Windows is replaced with something half decent, IMHO, Linux will always
bite on the desktop for the average user.

> I think the main reason people put
> > down Linux on the desktop is the security (which is missing from
> > Windows), people have a fit just because you need to go to the command
> > line and switch to root to install things, unlike Windows where you can
> > just browse to the wrong website and have endless crap installed onto
> > the system. <sigh>

Well, surprisingly this feature isn't limited to Linux. I use Mozilla for
browsing and most email reading (Lookout is the standard at Borland, I have
little choice in it) - so I don't suffer the problems that are mentioned
here and relate specifically to IE.

Now on the server side, well - would I use anything else? :-)

Richard