> Its a scripted language, therefore it needs to
> be interpreted to produce a result. Its no raw
> byte code like a compiled exe.

Raw byte code still needs to be interpreted - albeit translated to machine
ops (rather than interpreted in the sense that a scripted language is).

Only a compiled exe is.  well. a compiled exe.

Maybe by "'raw' byte code" you meant "pre-cooked - reheat to serve", as
opposed to "These are the ingredients, now go cook it"

:D

My interest in these benchmarks is in the source - one must presume that the
submissions were written to squeeze every last cycle of performance out of
the language/runtime involved, since that was the object of the exercise.
write fast code.

Some Delphi source has been posted, and I find it interesting that the first
attempt in Delphi, written intuitively, not highly optimised, not especially
esoteric or exotic, was still faster than the best performing, presumably
highly tweaked (so far) C# attempt.

And I dread to think what that C# code would look like.  Difficult to say
without seeing the sources though.

Performance is - in most cases - a trade off between raw execution speed and
practically maintainable source.  Delphi's - or perhaps rather: Pascal's +
native compilation - great strength imho is that you get great execution
speed without sacrificing maintainability, and can still get AWESOME
execution speed should you absolutely need it.

--
 "Smile", they said.  "it could be worse!"
 So I did.  And it was.