[Reply]

HI all,

As a Delphi teacher for some many years I found the Turbos irrelevant, as
components are a fundamental part of good OO programming, and it was impossible
to teach Delphi properly without new components being able to be created and
installed in the IDE.

Personally I'd like to see a $25 fee for Academic Delphi - get's the Students
into the system - and that the compiler be limited to what they could do ...
eg. a nag screen at the start of any application not started within Delphi, and
something like a 30 min time limit for application execution. .. etc

Otherwise the Delphi should run as per the real thing.

Students will get cracked versions otherwise, and they can be very creative at
that.

HTH

Gary

At 12:59 on 22/09/2009 you wrote
>To  : delphi@delphi.org.nz
>CC  : >From: John Bird, johnkb...@paradise.net.nz
>Content Type: text/plain
>Attached: >
>If Turbo versions of Delphi are not available, it is a great idea to have
>>them as PR to get students getting free versions to learn on.  Without
>>Embarcadero losing money on commercial sales.
>
>Interested to hear others ideas how such editions could work.
>
>My ideas:
>
>-Preventing installation of components as in the past is simple - but some
>>large scale commercial programs could still be made, so I think it needs
>>more.
>
>-Either disabling printing if included (Rave reports) or all printing >carries
>a water mark "Student Edition - not for commercial use".
>
>-All program windows contains some signature eg "Student edition" in the
>>title bar
>
>-some smart restrictions on what can be produced.......eg cheap or free DB
>>licences limit to often only 5 connections.   Maybe limit units to 4000
>>lines of code, or forms to 30 components total, and listviews and grids to
>>200 lines,
>
>-Programs might only run for 1 hour maximum and exit with a reminder screen,
>>or will not run at all after say 1-2 years.
>
>-Alternatively charge strictly on a usage basis - eg start with $20 free
>>credit.  Every compile takes 10cents of credit, every debugger run takes 20
>>cents off, editing takes off 1 cent per hour.  When credit is used up IDE
>>stops working, and you have to uninstall and reinstall.   (Transaction based
>>charging like this is a favourite of mine, incorporated into some of my
>>programs).
>
>-Expiry date on IDE, have to uninstall and reinstall to get more.
>
>-Student edition could cost say $25 or be free, depending on how restricted.
>
>A combination of more than one of these would mean commercial developers
>>would still get the real versions, and be not too mean on students.
>
>Choose what is good to limit, and let them otherwise have a fully functional
>>version - in reality they won't be writing very large programs, so that is
>>what to limit.
>
>Personally I would favour the combination of
>-Watermarks on printing
>-limits on grid size and number of components on a form
>-programs run for 1 hour maximum.
>
>John >

Ref#: 41006