From: delphi-boun...@delphi.org.nz [mailto:delphi-boun...@delphi.org.nz] On
Behalf Of Kyley Harris
Sent: Tuesday, 19 January 2010 1:39 p.m.
To: NZ Borland Developers Group - Delphi List
Subject: Re: [DUG] IPC with an elevated program

I just use TCPIP for everything.. then it doesn't matter where the stuff is
residing and its as simple as you can get for communicating.

On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 2:13 AM, Ross Levis <r...@stationplaylist.com>
wrote:

This is not strictly Delphi related but hope someone can help.

Since Vista came out I've been using a small program I wrote with a manifest
to give it elevated privileges, so I can write to the HKLM registry when
requested by any of my applications.  I use a shared memory component
(memory mapped file with no file) to communicate between an app and the
small program which is loaded when required.

But since Vista SP1 or SP2, Microsoft appears to be preventing shared memory
access between an app with standard privileges and one with elevated.  I've
been wondering why some users have been reporting odd problems and this
appears to be it.

So it appears I need an alternative method.  I could use the elevated DLL
method, but this seems complicated.  I'm not an advanced programmer.  It's a
bugger as I spent quite a bit of time getting this working well when Vista
first came out.  I would prefer to continue using the small app, but it
appears I need some other method for sharing text between 2 processes of
different elevations.  Does anyone know if this is possible?

I've heard that even PostMessage and SendMessage from a standard to elevated
program does not work anymore.

Thanks,

Ross.

Kyley Harris