I made this video a few years ago
http://codegearguru.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=12&Itemid=27 <http://codegearguru.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=12&Itemid=27>
making icons with GiMP.

However there are some quite good free standalone Icon editors.

Alister Christie
Computers for People
Ph: 04 471 1849 Fax: 04 471 1266
http://www.salespartner.co.nz
PO Box 13085
Johnsonville
Wellington

On 9/11/2010 5:32 p.m., John Bird wrote:
I have never read up on best practices/sizes etc for creating program icons and BMP files for buttons/images etc. Anyone got any good references to read up further?? q1 – I have figured how to create a BMP with transparent background for bit buttons etc so the image is not square. How do I create same for program ICO files? All my program icons in the task bar are square as a result. q2 – Where does everyone else store their image files? Really they should be considered part of the project. Only the IDE does not store what the original filename was, so to find the image again (for a bitbutton/program icon etc) I have to know what it was and where. I haven’t made up mind between storing them in the project source folder or a separate images folder... Any Embarcadero programmers out there reading this – how about the IDE stores the names of the files when it loads them, so it can be found again.
John