Graham,

I have simply not believed the deploy tool and uploaded the complete vcl to the web. This way, I know its not an issue.

I had wondered about the php version, but not blaming that yet.

Really the major issue is php itself - based on basic (arguably the first kiddy language invented over 30 years ago). I cant believe we are using it now !! Slight misspelling of an identifier and one is history with errors that have nothing to do with reality. I have had ajax stop working. Then query->open would not work but query->active = true would etc....

The issue of the oncreate firing multiple times turned out to be caching (probably by the php engine itself - nothing else makes sense) as I had cleared the browser cache. Once I fixed that with some html tags, the refresh from ajax has stopped working. It no longer refreshes the control as it used to - until the form is submitted.

I am going to have one more go at ajax based data control refresh on another form. If that doesnt work, then I will convert all of the delphi stuff to php. The ide is still useful as a project manager.

I finally discovered the _problem with constants_ in another file. if there is no vcl in the page (form) then the constants work. As soon as vcl is involved, they are no longer visible...

I discovered the _problem with functions_ in another file. There must be no spaces between the identifier and the bracket. Then they work.

Rohit