The easiest way to test this is whatever string you come up with copy it to
the clipboard and paste in into the RUN prompt. If it doesn't run there, it
won't run within your application.

Don't use the command prompt (for testing), as it treats spaces differently.
How are you actually executing the generated command prompt?

I have a unit that creates processes. I pass the program name as a parameter
and then a stringlist for all other parameters. The method then double
quotes the program name and then each of the parameters as the command line
is generated. Perhaps something like this would help clean up the code