Well turns out this is pretty easy to fix. As mentioned above, deluge is
still parsing all 4 proxy settings and setting the blank ones, which
overwrites the actual proxy you set.

This can be changed directly in the Python script with a one-line change.

In my installation (raspberry pi, with deluged version 1.3.10-3+deb8u1) you
can find the line to modify per below.

Note I haven't tried installing the latest version (1.3.15) from source, I
merely hacked the installed 1.3.10 package and it worked for me.

$ grep -nA1 "setting .* proxy settings"
/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/deluge/core/preferencesmanager.py
482:                log.debug("setting %s proxy settings", k)
483-                getattr(self.session, "set_%s_proxy" %
k)(proxy_settings)

Then just edit this file:

sudo nano /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/deluge/core/preferencesmanager.py

Type Ctrl+_ then 482 to go to the line 482 (change per grep output if yours
differs)

Then, change lines 482 & 483 like this (add the if statement above line
482, then indent by 4 spaces the two lines following - this is important,
Python is indentation sensitive)

            if len(proxy_settings.hostname) > 0:
                log.debug("setting %s proxy settings", k)
                getattr(self.session, "set_%s_proxy" % k)(proxy_settings)

Only the first line (the "if") is new, the rest you just indent them 4
spaces to the right

Then kill and restart the deluge daemon, and voila, proxy settings now work.

You can verify using the torrent IP checkers like this one:
http://checkmytorrentip.upcoil.com/