David W. Van Couvering wrote:
Hi, Kristian, thanks for your research on this! I didn't know there was more to be said on what SQL States should be used when. It's a little daunting -- every time I change a SQL State in the client I have to peruse this massive tome.

Anyway, I would probably use 25001, which is currently not in use. And IMHO we should fix the embedded client to use this more descriptive message.

I suppose I should fix this since it was my changes that introduced the regression.

Thanks for taking care of it David :)

Fixing the test itself should be easy-going. I'll have a look at the patch when it is ready.

--
Kristian

David

Kristian Waagan wrote:
David W. Van Couvering wrote:

Thanks for catching this, Kristian. As I go through messages on the client, I try to find a matching message that already exists for the embedded code. I have not tried to actually look at the "same" code on the embedded side, as it's really hard to tell what the "same" code is, and where it is.

I think the message "Invalid transaction state" is very vague, and in this way is very general and reusable. I have heard Dan state that general and reusable is better than specific and not reusable. I am personally having trouble knowing how to best balance a comprehensible message with one that is too specific.

In this case, however, I think "Invalid transaction state" is so vague as to be pretty much unhelpful. I would vote that we migrate CANNOT_CLOSE_ACTIVE_XA_CONNECTION from a client-specific message in client/.../loc/clientmessages_en.properties to a reusable message in engine/.../loc/messages_en.properties.

I also think that the standard SQL State of 25000 is incorrectly used, here. This isn't an invalid transaction state. It's an attempt to close a connection with an open transaction. If anything it *might* be a connection exception (08000), but I actually think it doesn't apply to either of these, and probably the SQL State, once you migrate it, should start with "XJ" - JDBC exceptions.

I'm a bit confused. The SQL spec (2003) seem to think that closing a connection with an active transaction is to be considered an invalid transaction state.
INVALID_TRANSACTION_STATE_NO_SUBCLASS = "25000".
INVALID_TRANSACTION_STATE_ACTIVE_SQL_TRANSACTION = "25001".
There are more subclasses (see for instance p 776 of the second volume).

Also, under "17.3 <disconnect statement>", general rule 6:
"6) If any SQL-connection in L is active, then an exception condition is raised: invalid transaction state —
active SQL-transaction."
(L is a list of SQL-connections - see general rule 5)

Sorry for not bringing this up earlier, but I've been sick and the required karma to consult the SQL standard was not restored until today.

JDBC does not have much to say on the issue, from Connection.close():
"It is strongly recommended that an application explicitly commits or rolls back an active transaction prior to calling the close method. If the close method is called and there is an active transaction, the results are implementation-defined."

The reason I react on the currently proposed solution, is the use of an XA related SQLState. Can anyone explain to me why we want use that when calling close on a "normal" SQL connection with an uncommitted transaction on it?
And is the SQL standard (2003) the authoritative source on this issue?

I do agree with David that the generic "invalid transaction state" is a bit vague, but since we have several subclasses (including one for this specific case), we can elaborate on it if that is the correct way to go.

thanks,
--
Kristian

I am also realizing that we as a community need to decide if we want to ensure that the network client and the engine should always have the same SQL States for the same exceptions. It's laudable, and if we catch differences I think we should fix them, but I am not sure if it should be *required*, especially for existing code. It is *very* hard to reliably backport this consistency into existing code, as the code paths on the two drivers are quite different. If anyone has any ideas about this, it would be much appreciated.

David

P.S. I'll start running the jdbc40 test suite as well as derbyall prior to checkin of i18n changes.

Kristian Waagan (JIRA) wrote:

[ http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-1149?page=comments#action_12371754 ]
Kristian Waagan commented on DERBY-1149:

I need a little help on my issue. The following diff is from r388309:

--- /db/derby/code/trunk/java/client/org/apache/derby/client/am/Connection.java 2006/03/24 00:54:27 388308 +++ db/derby/code/trunk/java/client/org/apache/derby/client/am/Connection.java 2006/03/24 00:55:44 388309
[snip]
// The following precondition matches CLI semantics, see SQLDisconnect()
         if (!autoCommit_ && inUnitOfWork_ && !allowCloseInUOW_()) {
             throw new SqlException(agent_.logWriter_,
- "java.sql.Connection.close() requested while a transaction is in progress on the connection." + - "The transaction remains active, and the connection cannot be closed."); + new MessageId (SQLState.CANNOT_CLOSE_ACTIVE_XA_CONNECTION)); }
[snip]

Is this change correct?
In my test, the SQLState used on the embedded side is
LANG_INVALID_TRANSACTION_STATE (25000):
# Transaction states, matches DB2
25000=Invalid transaction state.

The way I see it, without much knowledge about this, there are multiple
possible outcomes:
1) The change is invalid, and we start using
SQLSTATE.LANG_INVALID_TRANSACTION_STATE on the client as well.
2) The change is correct, and I change the test to reflect this.
3) The change is invalid, and we make SQLSTATE.LANG_INVALID_TRANSACTION_STATE more verbose (aka the old message on the client) and start using it on the
client and update the message text for embedded.

What do you say?

'jdbc40/StatementTest.junit' fails under DerbyNetClient

        Key: DERBY-1149
    Project: Derby
       Type: Test
 Components: Regression Test Failure, Test
   Versions: 10.2.0.0
Environment: JDK 1.6 (b76 used, believed to apply to all)
   Reporter: Kristian Waagan
   Assignee: Kristian Waagan

One of the tests in jdbc40/StatementTest.junit fails with the following message:
"Attempt to shutdown framework: DerbyNetClient
0 add

....F.
There was 1 failure:
1) testIsClosedWhenClosingConnectionInInvalidState(org.apache.derbyTesting.functionTests.tests.jdbc4.StatementTest)junit.framework.ComparisonFailure: Unexpected exception thrown: Cannot close a connection while a global transaction is still active. expected:<java.sql.Connection.close() requested while a transaction is in progress on the connection.The transaction remains active, and the connection cannot be closed...> but was:<Cannot close a connection while a global transaction is still active...>
FAILURES!!!
Tests run: 5,  Failures: 1,  Errors: 0

Test Failed.
*** End: StatementTest jdk1.6.0-beta2 DerbyNetClient 2006-03-24 12:53:22 ***" The reason is that the exception message text has been changed. This comparison is only done when running DerbyNetClient, because SQLState was not implemented there.
The checkin that caused the error: