On Wed, Apr 20, 2011 at 9:42 PM, RGB ES <rgb.m...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2011/4/20 Sparkling Specks <heinzless...@googlemail.com>:
>> Okay, to counter some of the criticism: the rule against buttons
>> changing their role seems to play less of a role, today, see for
>> instance Rhythmbox's current Play/Pause button.
>
> Play/pause on same button have an history: a stereo I got on late '80s
> had such "setup" so it is quite easy to understand on a music player,
> but other function may not be well together. To some extend, play and
> pause are in the same game but apply and revert are completely
> opposite and can confuse people to bound them together.

I don't think the Reset (-vert) and Apply functions are so different
as you think but yes, this behaviour isn't really expected in such a
dialogue -- as opposed to Rhythmbox's most prominent button's
behaviour.

>> Of the other ideas, the one I think would probably work best, is the
>> one by Christoph (Help | Close, Reset, [Standard]) -- but I think it
>> could alienate Windows users who are not used to the concept of
>> applications automatically applying different settings as you enter
>> them.
>
> It would alienate KDE users too... in fact, I do not like when
> settings apply without my explicit consent ;)

Point taken. Although as a Gnome user I really like things done the Gnome way.

Oh, and sorry for inadvertently opening a new thread.

Regards, heinzs.