Hi Loic, hi all!

I've refined the interaction design a bit and uploaded it to the wiki -
replacing the file you've uploaded for me (thanks!):
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Bug_Submission_Assistant_-_ToDo#Web_design

Comments on the new version:
      * It is still a draft ...
      * I refined the structure so that it matches better with the
        design proposal you've send to me (navigation on the left side,
        more dominant header).
      * Added a few more steps and thought a bit how things could be
        explained in a rather user-friendly language (whereas I tried to
        be as understandable as possible until the bug report assistant
        is entered).
      * I've tried to follow your current workflow, added snippets
        provided by Michael and Rainer ... and considered "getting help"
        and "joining a user survey". However, the essential part "bug
        report" would also work "stand-alone".
      * The structure contains a lot of "Full Description" elements -
        added for scalability reasons, if the normal field size is too
        small. So, they can be removed if not needed.
      * Personally, I think the structure is just a contain to add the
        real workflow like the one by Michael. I don't know what's
        currently planned, but it would provide more guidance (asking
        for crashes, rendering fidelity ...).
      * I've left some placeholders due to missing time and missing
        knowledge, here it would be great if the others could jump in to
        help us finalize the work.
      * I might have missed some (or many) details, since I've tried to
        avoid reading further mails this evening ... aehm ... night :-)
      * And, grr, already found some caption mistakes after
        uploading ... but that doesn't affect the concept.

Feedback appreciated ... :-)

Since this mail is send to the QA list / Design list as well, I'll keep
most of the discussion we had so far.

Am Dienstag, den 13.09.2011, 10:01 +0200 schrieb Loic Dachary:
> On 09/13/2011 12:44 AM, Christoph Noack wrote:
[...]
> > So I've started to read most of the specs lying around and tried to
> > understand the motivation by Rainer and Michael. Next, I've tried you
> > bug report assistant and read the mails discussing that topic on the
> > mailing list. Finally, I've tried to come up with my own point-of-view
> > in a mockup (which is far from being completed):
> > https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/w31yhEvxH3xkTt1YYwvjkA?feat=directlink
> >
> It's a great illustration of what I have in mind, except for the left
> part which is outside the scope of the bug submission assistant (I
> hope ;-). I wish I would be able to do such nice schematics.

Thanks :-)

> > A first feedback from your side would be great!
> >
> > Some comments:
> >       * The "intermediate page" that allows people to provide feedback
> >         via different methods is something I'd like to have for our
> >         users. To me, it seems less important for your work I guess.
> yes.
> >       * I assumed that the content is embedded into some other website,
> >         e.g. the LibreOffice website.
> yes, in an iframe https://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/bugTest/?stage=Stage
> >       * The first step is a mixture of Michael's proposal and the one
> >         I've made ago ... selecting the main components via buttons (or
> >         whatever can be done) and offering a container (or whatever...)
> >         to provide a full list if people are able to understand that.
> I understand the rationale.
> >       * Next, the whole design doesn't feel right yet ... unfortunately
> >         we lack the time for relaxed iterations, so it should be
> >         considered as "something".
> >       * I've added the mockup to Picasa if you want to discuss it with
> >         other people ...
> >       * Like the usual usability driven mockups, the visual design isn't
> >         available (missing colors icons, ...). Thus ...

> I got a design proposal that implements your "Report a Problem" box, I think
> (see attached). What do you think ?

I think it will work well ... I had a few concerns whether people
understand the sequence of the steps (at the moment, it rather looks
like the tabs in recent software or on websites), but for a first
iteration it's great.

The only things I'd like to mention are that we usually don't use drop
shadows and that we try to use lots of white - so the header may be a
bit too dominant.

> > For the visual design, we currently have the following resources:
[... already added to the wiki page by your side ...]
> > Maybe this helps to get an idea how the final design could look like.
> >
> It makes things a lot clearer for me, indeed.

> The only thing I'll be missing is someone to slice the images from the
> mockup, so that I can work the CSS/HTML integration. I have limited
> skills with regard to producing images for background, buttons etc.
> and the web designer won't do it.

I hope somebody can jump in - as I mentioned before, joining tomorrow
(maybe even the day after) is impossible :-\

> This is going to be good, I feel it :-)

Hehe, that sounds good ... its fun to work on that. And its extra fun,
because of the great resources available you've made available
(pictures, prototype, ...).

Cheers,
Christoph