On Thursday, 14 January 2016 11:32:59 CET Michel RENON wrote:
> You said very important things !
> That's the core problem : currently, there is no user feedback.
>
> The design team is very motivated to create good UI, but we (as I
> participated in the design team) have the "ivory tower" syndrom :
> we just talk between 3 to 10 people, mostly some people heavily
> involved in LibreOffice or software development.
> We never have the feedback from 'lambda/basic' users.
> Designing a software is much much more than doing IRC or hangouts and
> talking about one mockup. It should have "use cases, prototypes, user
> testing and iterate". (it's not a rant against the design team, it's a
> constructive critic or an enhancement request)
> I talked about that (and much more already 3 years ago in my blog [1]
>
> Few days ago, I started the idea of "eating our own dog food", that is
> design team should use LO to create mockups, and more if possible.
> It would be a first step in having user feedback : some internal
> feedback, but design team should be in front of real usability problems
> in LO.
> As a regular user of LO, I'm often angry because of such details that
> reduce/kill my productivity in my daily job.

That's not fair. We do user survey for years. For instance results from 5400
participants about what motifs people have to use Libreoffice [1,2,3,4,5]. We
run numerous tests on icon conspicuousness [7,8,9,10,11,12]. More recently we
asked about how users want the toolbars to get configured [13,14,15].
Most considerations are done transparently, for instance about customization
[16], change tracking [17], indexes and tables [18], CMIS [19], Special
Characters [20], Shapes [21]. Charts [22], Tables Styles [23], Area Fill [24].
Our work is well-founded with the HIG [25,26,27] based on the aforementioned
own surveys as well as data from the old AOO user tracking, reports on the
web, talks to everyone over the world (nothing that Jay changed at the tolbar
was done for no reason - a blog post about that is in preparation). Our work
is transparent, democratic, and user-centered. Of course not all ideas are
published, like the considerations about dogfooding - the posting was rejected
since we do not have any developer imporoving Draw and want to let sleeping
dog lie. Actually the same was true for the extended toolbar - this posting
and many more from the design team could be added here as well.
And to give this a compromise drive: I understand your posting as an appeal to
not reduce the effort in our work. I would be the last who objects. Surely we
can improve on many aspects. For instance in respect to the communication, as
Sophie said. On the other hand, our latest reports [23,24] had only a few
comments. UX is nothing what comes out of the blue, and when we talk many days
again and again about the same stuff it shows how delicate the topic is. Not
every user wants to dive that deep into the mud.

[1] User Survey results #1
http://user-prompt.com/libreoffice-user-research-results-vol-1/
[2] User Survey results #2
http://user-prompt.com/libreoffice-user-research-results-vol-2-2/
[3] User Survey results #3
http://user-prompt.com/libreoffice-user-research-results-vol-3/
[4] User Survey results #4
http://user-prompt.com/libreoffice-user-research-results-vol-4/
[5] User Survey results Summary
http://user-prompt.com/libreoffice-user-research-summary/
[6] More is worse: About Detail in Icons
http://user-prompt.com/more-is-worse-about-detail-in-icons/
[7] What is a pencil used for? http://user-prompt.com/what-is-a-pencil-used-for/
[8] Can a direction in time be displayed by spatial signs?
http://user-prompt.com/can-a-direction-in-time-be-displayed-by-spatial-signs/
[9] Where does the Navigator lead you?
http://user-prompt.com/where-does-the-navigator-lead-you/
[10] How abstract can an icon be? About Copy & Paste in LibreOffice
http://user-prompt.com/how-abstract-can-an-icon-be-about-copy-paste-in-libreoffice/
[11] Semiotics in Usability: Guidelines for the Development of Icon Metaphors
http://user-prompt.com/semiotics-in-usability-guidelines-for-the-development-of-icon-metaphors/
[12] Quick wins: Conclusions of the Libreoffice icon test
http://user-prompt.com/conclusions-of-the-libreoffice-icon-test/
[13] Standard toolbar in Libreoffice
http://user-prompt.com/standard-toolbar-in-libreoffice/
[14] Results of survey about Libreoffice Calc?s toolbar configuration http://
user-prompt.com/results-of-survey-about-libreoffice-calcs-toolbar-configuration/
15] How people utilize Libreoffice Impress
http://user-prompt.com/how-people-utilize-libreoffice-impress/
[16] How to make Libreoffice Customization usable
http://user-prompt.com/how-to-make-libreoffice-customization-usable/
[17] Tracking changes with Libreoffice
http://user-prompt.com/tracking-changes-with-libreoffice/
[18] Libreoffice Design Session: Entries at Indexes and Tables
http://user-prompt.com/libreoffice-design-session-entries-at-indexes-and-tables/
[19] Libreoffice Design Session: CMIS Improvement http://user-prompt.com/
libreoffice-design-session-cmis-improvement/
[20] Libreoffice Design Session: Special Character http://user-prompt.com/
libreoffice-design-session-special-character/
[21] Libreoffice Design Session: Shapes
http://user-prompt.com/libreoffice-design-session-shapes/
[22] Libreoffice Design Session: Inserting a Chart http://user-prompt.com/
libreoffice-design-session-inserting-a-chart/
[23] Style your tables https://design.blog.documentfoundation.org/2015/12/13/
style-your-tables/
[24] Area fill options made consistent https://
design.blog.documentfoundation.org/2015/12/22/area-fill-options-made-
consistent/
[25] Libreoffice Human Interface Guidelines: First steps http://user-prompt.com/
libreoffice-human-interface-guidelines-first-steps/
[26] Libreoffice Human Interface Guidelines: The second step
http://user-prompt.com/libreoffice-human-interface-guidelines-the-second-step/
[27] Libreoffice Human Interface Guidelines: Context Menu and Sidebar http://
user-prompt.com/libreoffice-human-interface-guidelines-context-menu-and-sidebar/