On 09.04.2018 15:53, Regina Henschel wrote:

>  If the user copy/pastes a group, all objects are taken.
>
> That is the purpose of a group. But you can have this situation
> Page 1
>   Layer "Foo"
>    Shape_1
>    Shape_2 (contained in group1)
>   Layer_Bar
>    Shape_3 (contained in group1)
>  Page 2
>   Default layer

Right, that's the problem here. My take is to ignore the layers in that case
and put the grouped objects all together on the target layer. Simplicity first,
meaning it's weird if we automatically create layers. If users need to keep the
structure we have to implement an extra function but my advice is to copy the
layer(s) with grouped objects and delete unneeded objects. That brings me to
the requirement of multi-selection of layers.