html,body{background-color:#fff;color:#333;line-height:1.4;font-family:arial,
helvetica, sans-serif;;}
Hi everyone

I use Libre Office frequently since some years, and have exprience starting
with wordstar, and then MS-Word etc. since ~1990. Actually I don't use
Microsoft's office tools - no license, no willingness, and I write docx if
required (for publishing in some journals) - with Libre Office, stored as docx.
Sometimes I also use Open-Office, to compare it. This results in many
experience.

A second one, I am developing a tooling to draw Function Block graphics,
evaluate it inclusively code generation, and the drawing tool is Libre Office.
It is enough proper to use it, but some details may be to improve.

By the way, I am German, can read and write English, but of course sometimes
with small mistakes :-(

Just, I have viewed to1) Copy Deployment- it is a quest of installation.

I have searched to the newest versions of LibreOffice, have installed the
newest 7.6.4 and this version was bad. I was angry, it was in usage to insert
images as link, etc. (see next), and I want to use the proven 7.5.9.

But the official installation support is only via a Win-Installer.exe. Ok, this
is for stupid people, they are happy if Windows cares about all. But I want to
have the versions (newest, the older one, maybe more) in parallel.

I have tried it, it works, the copy deployment.

* copied the file from the original „Program Files“ to another specific
location.

* Deinstalled Libre Office via Windows with remove the files on the orginal
location

* Started my copy, it works!

* Copied the file to another computer, started, works!

* Tested have different versions, works!

The problem is not that it is not supported, the problem is, it is not
documented.

The wording „copy deployment“ comes from a brainy colleague. I say this is a
very concise designation for this approach. Sometimes the wording „portable
installation“ or such is used, but it is not clearly what is meant with that.
The copy deployment means that the software runs only with copying the program
file folder. This is possible by a lot of tools, and it is supported also by a
lot, for example for Eclipse for exampleeclipse-java-2022-06-R-win32-x86_64.zip
able to download, unzip and run.

But it seems to be that such a “copy deployment” is seen as dirty. And that is
a bad opinion. Why a software should be placed in a registry of an operation
system – no reason. The copy deployment is usual possible since many epochs, I
use it since also before 1990.

You should support and offer it as possibility in “expert mode”

2. link to images and relative links

I have seen that there is a warning on insertion of images as link (in the
newest version 7.6.4) that it isnot recommended, unsafe, etc. Tested just in
version 7.5.9.2 this message does not come.

I have the feeling that some people in the developing have the opinion, that
links from the document are bad. Embedded images are better. And that is wrong!
Why:

1) If I offer a text for publishing, the Editors of the magazine want to have
images as files. In a high resolution. Because they have its own publishing
process. If I write the text first with embedded images, I have a lot of
trouble to extract it afterwards or find the originals.

2) If I am working on a documentation, sometimes I should correct the text,
improve it, but should also improve some images. The images comes from another
source. (For example Libre Office draw, or also from a snipping of a scope or
what ever). It is very more simple to work independently on the images, update
it on file system, then press “Tools – update all” in Libre Office, and have
the correct result. Without effort.

I work with independent linked images since many years. In the past there was a
reason, that MS-Word crashes on too much content, but this is not the reason to
outsource the images. The reason is the working flow.

Please do not hinder working with linked image, improve it!

Relative links

There is a assumption that linked images and links to other documents are
unsafe, because it is not guaranteed that the files are existing. This is
generally true, but it is really true often forabsolutelinks. Whenever the
document and the files are transported (copied) to another computer, work with
it, and the locations on the hard disk are not exact the same. Only the stupid
user (in German Otto Normalverbraucher) locates his files in the original
recommended folder of Windows. Real true users have there specific location.

That’s why absolute links are bad.

What about relative links:

* If I copy the whole directory tree of a project, and the tree has a well
defined structure, which is anyway necessary, the relative links work. Only on
a dirty working flow they are problems.

* More as that: Windows supports since ~Vista symbolic links (which are
supported from Unix from beginning), using mklink /J name path. This works
proper, also on network drives, but it seems to be not familiar for some
windows users. Also, it is sophisticated for the stupid user, but the expert
user should know and understand it. And it is able to explain!! Using this
symbolic link capability it is possible to place the link used by a LibreOffice
document near the document folder, to have a simple relative link there. The
responsibility that the symbolic linked folder is proper, this is in the hand
of the owner who knows its file system. This work should be done only ones, if
some is wrong or changed in the file tree structure. That is the advantage.
That’s why I would favor this approach.

* But just, using relative links are supported from Libre Office!! nice!!. In
the internal content.xml there are contained relative links if“Tools –
Options”there“Load/Save - General – Save URLs relative to file system”is
checked. That is proper !!!

* But in the document the links appears as absolute one, and I should look in
the content.xml to see whether they are relative and how they are written. That
is stupid.

* It may be better to see the links in the document (in properties of an image)
as it is. Additional, nice to have, the absolute location should be written out
(as only information, helpful). Then I know what is happen!!!</p>
* It means that the dialog box for “Image – Properties” on tab “Rotation”
should show the real used relative path, should make it possible to enter or
adjust a relative path, if relative is generally selected in theLoad/Save -
General – Save URLs relative to file system”, and should show the absolute path
which results in an extra line below this field. Then I know what is happen.
And for the stupid Otto Normalverbraucher (the average consumer) there should
be a hint to help.

* Why the file link is contained in the tab“Rotation”? In the past I mean that
the file link was contained in another tab. In “Options” (should try in an
older version). However, this fact shows that the link to the file is being
neglected. And I'm afraid that it will soon no longer be accessible. Then I'll
have to look for another Office tool

It may be happy you write back where I can enter this opinions to discuss it in
this forum and with some developers etc. - to improve LibreOffice in future.

Best regards, Hartmut Schorrig

My living point: Hösichleite 16, 91361 Pinzberg, Germany.

My phone 0171 1244373, my website:www.vishia.org