On Fri, Jun 20, 2008 at 1:47 PM, David Zeuthen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Fri, 2008-06-20 at 15:57 +0200, Murray Cumming wrote:
> > Going off topic a bit: It would be really nice if PolicyKit had a proper
> > web page and mailing list. It's too important for information on it to
> > be so fragmented.
>
> Right. I'm actually going to try and fix this (dedicated mailing list
> and website); stay tuned.

Hi,

I am tracking relatively unstable development repositories. As a result, I
have hal 0.5.11 installed which appears to have--undocumentedly--suddenly
required PackageKit as a hard dependency. For example, removable storage
mounting no longer works if PK is not installed due to the way that the
default dbus fdi rule is written. Aside from the hal harddep problem, it
appears that PK is sorely, sorely missing its documentation. For example,
having this new dependency thrust upon me would have been fine if things
like /usr/share/doc/policykit-gnome/README didn't contain:

TODO: write me

If RH is going to thrust PK on us, please, please, please provide some kind
of documentation (not an API reference). When things don't work (as they
aren't now and were previously) I have absolutely no idea what's wrong,
where to look or who to blame. Most importantly, I wanted to file a bug but
couldn't even manage that with the spectular lack of information out there.

Luckilly, Rob Taylor was gracious enough to point me in the right direction
from what he has in his own memory. Alas, correcting for an obvious
packaging error hasn't solved to problem so I'm stuck again. I'm sure others
would not be even this fortunate...

Ever so politely,