Disclaimer: I'm a student who may not be "in the know" with what is currently
going on in the community.  I am, however, an active user of open source/linux,
and I'm just getting started in some open source development.  If my post
exudes ignorance, please forgive me!

I had the idea of writing an "intelligent" screensaver that would read data
from RSS feeds, pretty up the data, and display it on the screen at certain
intervals.   The screensaver could go beyond simply using user defined
subscriptions for the data.  It could decide what news to load based on the
user's current location, time of day, music stored on the system, music
currently being played, applications currently open, recent search engine
queries, etc, etc...

The thing is, it seems rather redundant to write all the RSS management tasks
into the screensaver.  There are a variety of feeders available.  But, it would
also not be the greatest thing for the screensaver to depend on a feeder.

The ideal, I think, would be if GNOME already had an engine/API that could be
used for RSS content.  I did read somewhere that WebKit could be the answer to
this.  Is that true?  If not, would it be crazy to look at developing some kind
of simple framework for developing RSS content?  Of course, this then begs the
question, "what about other web content?"

It would be great if there were a central management system for web content.
Then, all apps could reap the benefits.  Microsoft and Apple have it easy, as
they know IE and Safari will be on the system, respectively.  However, in the
open source world, it can't be said with certainty which browser a user will
use.  Therefore, I think the centralization of web content management is a good
idea of GNOME.

Please share thoughts and please let me know if I am way off base as well!