Hi,

On Thu, Oct 29, 2009 at 1:05 PM, Martyn Russell <mar...@lanedo.com> wrote:
> On 28/10/09 23:23, Zeeshan Ali (Khattak) wrote:
> I think assuming that a project has to be shipped by distros before it can
> be in GNOME or visa versa doesn't make sense.
>
> Distros ALWAYS ship what they want and they want something stable. 0.6 is
> the last stable version we have and 0.7.

   Distros do ship what they want but there is a predictable pattern
to their desires. :) What about maemo? N900 will continue to ship with
0.6 and if i want my app to work on N900, i'll need to keep on dealing
with 0.6 for quite some time in future.

   Correct me if i am wrong but 0.7 release happened fairly recently,
no? Its been quite some time that I've been dealing with crappy 0.6
APIs so as an application developer I (and others) would need some
time to evaluate 0.7 APIs if they really are as perfect as you claim
or not. Working with 0.6 I've known nothing but pain (leaving aside
all the political pressure I've been facing for making my app so
dependent on Tracker) so please understand that I need some time to be
sure that 0.7 is completely different in that regard. Until then, I am
skeptical about Tracker to become integral part of GNOME.

  Also I share the concern of Lennart about inotify limitation and
from my talks with Tracker developers so far, it seems they
underestimate the importance of fixing this limitation wrt Tracker.

--
Regards,

Zeeshan Ali (Khattak)
FSF member#5124

P.S. These mails are written as a GNOME/Maemo developer rather than a
Nokia employee since I am not really officially involved in
Fremantle/N900 anymore.