Hi,

On Thu, Jul 21, 2016 at 4:31 PM, Ikey Doherty <michael.i.dohe...@intel.com>
wrote:

> On 21/07/16 14:27, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> > On Thu, 2016-07-21 at 14:12 +0100, Emmanuele Bassi wrote:
> >> Hi;

> >> AFAIR, gnome-screensaver is part of the "Flashback" session:
> >> https://wiki.gnome.org/Projects/GnomeFlashback

I would not say that gnome-screensaver is part of Flashback session, but
yes - we currently use it.

>> given that it uses Metacity.
> >
> > I don't know how well that works, or whether they've replaced gnome-
> > screensaver and gnome-settings-daemon yet. I refused to add hacks to
> > gnome-settings-daemon to make it work under GNOME Flashback as there
> > were just too many things that wouldn't work properly with it.

No, we have not replaced gnome-screensaver and gnome-settings-daemon. And
currently I don't plan to replace gnome-settings-daemon.

GNOME + (gnome-applets, gnome-flashback, gnome-panel and metacity) == GNOME
Flashback:
This is how I see Flashback session, I don't want to start fork projects to
keep them almost identical.

About mentioned hacks, there are two things:
- appmenu button that is needed in our session, but is hidden because
gnome-settings-daemon sets Gtk/ShellShowsAppMenu when org.gnome.Shell bus
name appears. This can be solved with small patch- by not calling
start_shell_monitor if XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP contains "GNOME-Flashback".
- default button-layout is not good for Flashback session... but I am
against adding hack for this in gss, here I would like to see per-session
gsettings overrides (session-dependent defaults). That also would allow to
drop hack that is used for GNOME Classic session.

If something is moved from gss to mutter/gnome-shell, I can make/add needed
changes in gnome-flashback. It would be really nice if small changes could
be accepted.

FWIW in Budgie we added a "Shell Shim" D-BUS API in budgie-wm, the
> Mutter wrapper, to implement that compatability, and proxy some calls
> back to the panel manager, i.e. for GTK+ ops, such as the EndSessionDialog.
>

> > I think a fork/rename would be the best option to avoid confusion in
> > the bug tracker. Given the number of time I have to reassign bugs about
> > the desktop file manager window to nautilus from gnome-desktop, it
> > would probably be best if bugs weren't stuck there.
> >

> OK so if the Flashback guys aren't interested in GNOME Screensaver
> longevity (Given the aims _do_ include modernisation on my end, which
> might conflict with Flashback goals) then what's the best course?

For long time I already want/plan to merge gnome-screensaver into
gnome-flashback. It will give more freedom to make needed changes without
affecting any other users and/or sessions that still use gnome-screensaver.
So I guess I can say that we are not interested in GNOME Screensaver as
standalone module.

Ideally I want to get this thing cleaned up so we can avoid more dead
> forks like light-locker and the likes. Fundamental selfish aim for
> me is of course Budgie interoptability (Which will serve us until Budgie
> 12, when we're Wayland, but it would continue to be maintained)
>

> - ikey

Alberts Muktupāvels