Alberto Fanjul Alonso <albertofan...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Do anybody though about trying new services for communication?
>
> - signal https://whispersystems.org/
> - telegram https://telegram.org/
> - matrix.org http://matrix.org/
> - gitter https://gitter.im/

  - Rocket.Chat https://rocket.chat/
  - Mattermost https://about.mattermost.com/

pros/cons irc:

> pros:
> - can be accesed through command line
> - is widespread
> - integrated in gnome environment (bots, bugzilla)
> cons:
> - syntax highlight
> - multimedia

IRC is lacking in almost all respects. Some of the main issues:

 - no built-in logging, server-side assistance for search
 - doesn't really track identity; nicks clash, people get renamed, etc
 - inaccurate tracking of online/offline status

Yes you can get around some of these things, using a bouncer or IRCCloud,
but that's not ideal. We've also done our best to improve the experience in
our own IRC client, Polari, but there's only so far you can take it on the
client side.

IRCv3 is aiming to improve the protocol/server situation but there's a long
way to go.

Allan