Hi,

> It's quite hard to get commit access atm because you have to be
> trusted initially. If a maintainer can give commit access to one repo
> he/she watches anyway there is less trust needed in the beginning. Or
> if a new contributor wants to take over an abandoned project.

is that true? I mean you have to have someone with commit access vouch for
you but that's a pretty low bar. I don't think it should be any lower than
that, but I also wouldn't want to see it higher than that.  GNOME has had
open ACLs from the beginning and it's a good thing! There's no evidence of
abuse, we shouldn't go locking everything down just because we can.

IMO, there should be three access tiers:

1) Can report issues and propose fixes
2) Can triage issues
3) Can fix issues

Anything more granular than that is a bad idea. It just introduces
artificial barriers that people will run into. (What happens when a
maintainer goes AWOL ?)

Let's keep things open like we always have!

--Ray