On Wed, 2019-05-01 at 10:08 -0500, mcatanz...@gnome.org wrote:
> On Wed, May 1, 2019 at 6:08 AM, Michael Gratton <m...@vee.net> wrote:
> > This has already been covered in the original proposal under
> > objection (1) "It doesn't matter". As has already been discussed,
> > what actually doesn't matter is what you or I think, it is the
> > people
> > who have been affected by the language we use that matter. These
> > are
> > the people who won't contribute to GNOME because of these terms,
> > and
> > it is the project that loses out in the end.
>
> You've yet to provide any evidence for this. We're asking for
> evidence
> because it is *extremely* difficult to believe. You're losing us
> here.
>
> > To address some of your points directly however, this censorship
> > in
> > as much as the CoC is censorship, and as much as you already
> > self-censor when choosing names for things in projects you
> > participate in. That is to say, not actually censorship at all. In
> > fact, you can see this proposal as simply aiming to extend the CoC
> > our documentation, API, and development infrastructure.
>
> Michael, the events CoC is a reasonable CoC written by reasonable
> people designed to ensure we treat each other reasonably well. It
> has
> broad support -- perhaps not universal, but at least pretty broad --
> from the GNOME community because we mostly all agree it is
> reasonable.

Our code of conduct isn't a direct descendant of the contributor
covenant, but it's still widely used in our community, including the
Linux kernel:
https://github.com/ContributorCovenant/contributor_covenant/blob/release/static/adopters.csv
and its master branch name was changed:
https://github.com/ContributorCovenant/contributor_covenant/issues/569#issuecomment-424896149

I quote so you don't have to read the issue that's of similar tone to
this thread:
"
The main branch is now called 'release'. Thank you for pointing this
out. (And I wish that GIthub would make something like this the
default.)
"

> What you're proposing is not reasonable. It's really not. There's no
> way you're going to convince the community that we should avoid
> commonly-used words that are generally considered inoffensive, just
> because a small minority might feel otherwise

Re-read this sentence a bunch of times, it's pretty much the opposite
of what our community stands for. Offensiveness isn't a popularity
contest.

>  (which, in this case, is
> hard to believe, but I suppose people are not always reasonable).

This is uncalled for.

> If you want to help make the GNOME community more inclusive in a
> more
> productive way, you could, for example, work on generalizing the
> events
> CoC to apply to all GNOME community interactions, like this mailing
> list, rather than just specific in-person events. I would suspect
> that
> would have broad support.

That's already being worked though, isn't it? I don't see why we can't
work on both.