On Sat, 2019-05-04 at 11:33 +0200, Bastien Nocera wrote:

> I don't have a good answer for this. I didn't find an explanation one
> way or the other, but there are uses of "slave copies" that aren't
> "copied from master" in Google, but usually not in
> recording/publishing
> fields.
>
> I just don't know whether "slave copy" is implied in "master copy" or
> whether it's completely disconnected from the term. If it's
> completely
> disconnected, where does "mastering" come from?
>
> Let me know if you find good etymologies for the verb "master". I
> couldn't think of any way that it wouldn't be related to a master
> copy
> and its "slave" copies.

I’m not willing to do research on this, but if you take a look at
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mastering_(audio), it mentions that it’s
the process of preparing and transferring the final audio to a master
(canonical, original) storage device, which will serve as a template
for all future copies.

I don’t understand the obsession with pairing master-anything with
slaves. In this concrete example, the better analogy would be cloning -
the copies are, for all intents and purposes, identical to the one true
original.