> How do they decide if they should use GTK 3 or GTK 2?

I had to research this, but apparently they made a cut-over at some point.
https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8198649 (not attempting to
minimize the problem, just wanted to isolate it from what we're discussing)

And even if someone decides to standardize it and sends merge requests
> to all major desktop environments, it will still take ages before it is
> widely available.

That's an unfortunate truth which is why I was hoping for an alternative
way to detect this.

At time of writing this, Ubuntu's the only one I've found modifying
XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP and keep something indicative of Gtk inside e.g.
(ubuntu:GNOME).   I assume that's because they've ditched Unity and are
finally back to using Gnome, but in a customized form; whereas the others
are simply Gtk-based and use their own name.

It would be nice to have a consensus on a long-term supported property that
exposes the presence of a running Gtk-based desktop to application
developers.  Even if such a value provides presumptuous information, it's
information, which is valuable.

If this consensus were agreed upon, the 80/20 stop-gaps of the world would
become the new "deprecated; a path to detection would be sanctioned,
instead of a mispurposed one.

- tres.finocchi...@gmail.com