Hi,
Thanks for the reply. I will send the log file as soonm as possible.
I feel it has more to do with issues regarding the display driver though. Its
an Intel 82Q35 Express Integrated Graphics Controller

** Attachment added: "lshw output of system in question."

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/lightdm/+bug/989440/+attachment/3124727/+files/hdwre

Packages, which is subscribed to lightdm in Ubuntu.

  Ubuntu 12.04 freezes after restart

Status in “lightdm” package in Ubuntu:

  Ubuntu 12.04 freezes after restart, sometimes just at the end of restart and
sometimes while booting up. I enabled text messages in GRUB boot-up, by
changing:
  GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
  in /etc/default/grub to:
  GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="text"

  [N.B: will this option make me to bottup into commandline?]

  and then updating grub menu using sudo update-grub

  I did it so as to see if any error or warning is shown, but nothing of
  that sortwas seen. Just plain freeze-up, with no error/warning shown
  whatsoever. It happens all too often, that it has become annoying.

  I'm not sure if this is a lightdm issue. But I feel so, since now most of the
time, bootup puts me in commandline interface, where I enter
  sudo service lightdm restart
  Is there any specific log file that I can see to understand what exactly is
the problem causing this?