@Emmet: Is this still happening in Ubuntu 12.04?

** Changed in: network-manager-applet (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to network-manager-applet in Ubuntu.

  Repeated CRITICAL **: nm_utils_ssid_to_utf8: assertion `ssid != NULL'
  failed in .xsession-errors

Status in “network-manager-applet” package in Ubuntu:

  When running network manager, I get "** (nm-applet:6505): CRITICAL **:
  nm_utils_ssid_to_utf8: assertion `ssid != NULL' failed" in my
  .xsession-errors file every minute or so.  While this acts as a crude
  timing measure to help understand the timing of errors from other
  applications, it's surely indicative of something being wrong
  somewhere.