This bug was fixed in the package gnome-games - 1:3.5.2-0ubuntu3

---------------
gnome-games (1:3.5.2-0ubuntu3) quantal; urgency=low

  * debian/patches/en_passant_pawns_only.patch:
    - Only allow pawns to do en passant (LP: #886826)
  * debian/patches/en_passant_remove_victim.patch:
    - Correctly remove en-passant captured pawn from the board (LP: #896617)
  * debian/patches/cant_castle_after_rook_taken.patch:
    - Can't castle once rook is taken (LP: #1013950)
 -- Robert Ancell <robert.anc...@canonical.com>   Fri, 13 Jul 2012 10:36:22
+1200

** Changed in: gnome-games (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to gnome-games in Ubuntu.

  castling problem when playing against cpu

Status in GNOME Games:
  Fix Released
Status in “gnome-games” package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in “gnome-games” source package in Precise:

  glchess 3.4.1
  I had a situation where cpu's knight was in my rook's place,it took my rook
basically. And there was nothing in between the knight and my king. But I was
able to castle and gain control over the opponents knight.

  Ubuntu 12.04 LTS
  -Dell Latitude D620