I've experienced this problem with 2 CDs today.  Both are present in the
MusicBrainz database.  I suspect the problem is that both CDs have
"unusual" file/partition layouts.

One is this one (MusicBrainz link) http://musicbrainz.org/release-
group/ca08ae46-d5ce-4587-b3f4-45a532f767b8 . When I insert it into the
CD on Ubuntu 11.10, automount pops up 2 mount points, one the usual
music CD and the other is named "David Hobson" (the artist's name) and
contains a Windoze executable.  From instructions on the CD jacket, one
can download an extra song using this.

The other CD is "Human Nature" "Counting Down"
(http://musicbrainz.org/release/0ea44d06-51cb-4f5c-8a4f-87256956b5fe).
This CD includes some image files and also causes Ubuntu to create two
different Automounts, one for the music and one for the images.

Could these atypical CD layouts be tripping up banshee?  If a developer
needs an .iso of one of these CDs to test with, I can supply.

Packages, which is subscribed to banshee in Ubuntu.

  cddb not working

Status in “banshee” package in Ubuntu:

  Hi,

  banshee does not query the cddb databases for CDs, it just says "Could
  not fetch track information"

  regards

  Package: banshee 2.0.1-1ubuntu1~natty2
  ApportVersion: 1.23-0ubuntu4