Duncan Clough, thank you for taking the time to report this bug and
helping to make Ubuntu better. The issue you are reporting is an
upstream one and it would be nice if somebody having it could send the
bug to the developers of the software by following the instructions
verbatim at http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/BugReport . If you have
done so, please tell us the number of the upstream bug (or the link), so
we can add a bugwatch that will inform us about the status. Thanks in
advance.

Helpful Bug Reporting Link:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ReportingBugs#Bug_Reporting_Etiquette

** Attachment removed: "particle_settling_crit_flow_pred_450mm_AC.xls"

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/libreoffice/+bug/1026356/+attachment/3252808/+files/particle_settling_crit_flow_pred_450mm_AC.xls

** Description changed:

- As suggested in https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/577658 I am
- creating a new bug report for the issue.
+ 1) lsb_release -rd
+ Release:      12.10

- I've attached a sample document with a contrived example (changing the
- formatting should fix the issue in this case). To see the error:
+ 2) apt-cache policy libreoffice-calc
+ libreoffice-calc:
+   Installed: 1:3.6.1~rc2-1ubuntu5
+   Candidate: 1:3.6.1~rc2-1ubuntu5
+   Version table:
+  *** 1:3.6.1~rc2-1ubuntu5 0
+         500 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ quantal/main i386 Packages
+         100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
+
+ 3) What is expected to happen in a terminal:
+ cd ~/Desktop && wget
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/libreoffice/+bug/1026356/+attachment/3227705/+files/GraphExample.ods
 && localc --nologo GraphExample.ods

  1. Double click on the graph
  2. Right click on the y-axis > Format Axis
  3. Select the Scale tab
  4. Uncheck Automatic for any of the values and try enter a number (You must
change the value).
- 5. You will see an error message stating that numbers are required.
+ 5. Click OK and it works.
+
+ 4) What happens instead is you will see an error message stating that
+ numbers are required.

  These are the steps I used to create the sample spreadsheet:

  1. Create new spreadsheet
  2. In column A write the numbers 1 to 5 on rows 1 to 5.
  3. In column B write the numbers 1 to 5 on rows 1 to 5.
  4. Select all the numbers > Format > Cells.
  5. In the Numbers tab select "Text" under the list of Categories.
  6. Click OK.
  7. Click the chart button (with the numbers still selected)
  8. Select an XY scatter graph (I've tested with "points-only" and "points
with lines")
  9. Click Finish. You now have a graph that gives the error message when
trying to change the scale.

- Expected Behaviour:
- The widget should accept the new values as numbers regardless of the
formatting of the chart data.
-
- While the examples I've provided for reproducing the error are
- contrived, I am seeing this issue in another document where changing the
- formatting of the graph data is not possible/is not a workaround.
-
  Package: libreoffice-calc 1:3.5.3-0ubuntu1
  NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia