here is some more troubleshooting:

0. rebooted the system

1. created a bash script, that just appends current date and time to a some log
file:
    #!/bin/bash
    date >> ~/date.log

2. went to System Settings > Keyboard > Shortcuts > Custom Shortcuts,
created a new shortcut with command /home/stepank/log.sh and bound it to
Ctrl + Shift + M

3. opened console, typed tail -f ~date.log, opened several windows
(Skype, Pidgin, Google Chrome, gedit) and pressed Ctrl + Shift + M from
all the windows, so far everything worked fine, i saw several new lines
with date in console

4. after about 10 minutes the hotkey stopped working if it is fired from
gedit (if i hit it from gedit, there appears no new lines in the log, if
i hit it from any other window, new lines readily appear)

5. killed gnome-settings-daemon, the hotkey stopped working at all

6. ran xev | sed -n 's/^.*state \([0-9].*\), keycode *\([0-9]\+\) *\(.*\),
.*$/keycode \2 = \3, state = \1/p' to grab events. pressing Ctrl + Shift + M
with focus on Event Tester resulted in the following lines written in console:
    keycode 37 = (keysym 0xffe3, Control_L), state = 0x0
    keycode 50 = (keysym 0xffe1, Shift_L), state = 0x4
    keycode 58 = (keysym 0x4d, M), state = 0x5
    keycode 58 = (keysym 0x4d, M), state = 0x5
    keycode 50 = (keysym 0xffe1, Shift_L), state = 0x5
    keycode 37 = (keysym 0xffe3, Control_L), state = 0x4
This looks ok. According to https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Hotkeys/Troubleshooting,
this is a desktop issue, what should i do next and what information is needed
to move this bug to Confirmed state?

** Attachment added: "dmesg.log"

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-settings-daemon/+bug/1064248/+attachment/3427643/+files/dmesg.log

Packages, which is subscribed to gnome-settings-daemon in Ubuntu.

  hotkeys do not work in ubuntu 12.04

Status in “gnome-settings-daemon” package in Ubuntu:

  I use Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS (all updates are installed) with Unity 2D and
  I've stumbled upon this issue: sometimes shortcut keys stop working in
  some windows. For instance, I have these windows opened usually:
  Google Chrome, Terminal, Skype, Pidgin. Sometimes everything is OK and
  shortcuts work no matter what window I hit them from, however, hotkeys
  hit from Skype (most often) or Pidgin (less often) do not work time
  after time (just no reaction when I hit them), but they still work
  from Terminal or Google Chrome. Moreover, not all hotkeys are
  affected, the problem holds only for locking the computer (Ctrl + Alt
  + L) and other custom shortcuts like executing some command or
  launching a program (I used `zenity --entry` with `[Super | Ctrl] +
  [some letter: K, N, etc]` for testing). I expect that all mentioned
  shortcuts work no matter what window they are fired from. I also
  should mention, that I had no such problem on Ubuntu 11.10.