The 'Unmounting local filesystems...' stage of shutdown fails, and reports that
the /var partition is busy.
This occurs where /var is on its own separate partition.

I am using 64 bit Kubuntu 12.10 (quantal) but I was also able to reproduce this
problem on a clean install of
xubuntu 12.10 i386 in virtualbox.

I added debugging messages to the script: /etc/init.d/umountfs
'fuser -m /var' shows that the only process with a file open on /var is
dhclient, which has a dhcp lease file in /var/lib/dhcp/
Using 'fuser -k -m /var' in the umountfs script kills the offending process,
allowing for a clean shutdown,
but that's not the right fix.

I'm not sure how to proceed from here.
dhclient is a child process of NetworkManager - should NetworkManager clean it
up?
the /etc/init.d/sendsigs script, which kills other processes during shutdown,
is specifically blocked from killing dhclient
by an entry in /run/sendsigs.omit.d/ so it is not clear to me what should be
happening.

Apologies if I filed this in the wrong place.

Release:        12.10

upstart:
  Installed: 1.5-0ubuntu9
  Candidate: 1.5-0ubuntu9
  Version table:
 *** 1.5-0ubuntu9 0
        500 http://jp.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ quantal/main amd64 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

** Affects: network-manager (Ubuntu)

umount of /var partition fails during shutdown, due to lingering dhclient