I have added some screenshots. Don't know if the 'open file' dialog is
part of Nautilus. But here is what happens.

** Attachment added: "bug jpg.odt"

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nautilus/+bug/1095321/+attachment/3493945/+files/bug%20jpg.odt

  Capital JPG extension not recognized as pictures

Status in “nautilus” package in Ubuntu:

  When accessing my photo's stored on my home directory e.g. when I want
  to upload them to the web, or an online photoalbum files with a JPG
  (all capitals) extension are not recognized as images. When I change
  the extension to jpg (no capitals) the very same files are recognized
  as images.

  The dialog box shows 'images' and I can't select the 'all files'
  option - this could perhaps also solve the problem. I have found a
  really old bug description that seems to report the exact same
  problem.

  https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gtk+2.0/+bug/221409