There is a workaround for me and that is to import the photos again in
shotwell. There is an option to get rid of all capitals in the
filenames. Seems to me that some developer at Shotwell had a comparable
problem and made a solution for it.

  Capital JPG extension not recognized as pictures

Status in “nautilus” package in Ubuntu:

  When accessing my photo's stored on my home directory e.g. when I want
  to upload them to the web, or an online photoalbum files with a JPG
  (all capitals) extension are not recognized as images. When I change
  the extension to jpg (no capitals) the very same files are recognized
  as images.

  The dialog box shows 'images' and I can't select the 'all files'
  option - this could perhaps also solve the problem. I have found a
  really old bug description that seems to report the exact same
  problem.

  https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gtk+2.0/+bug/221409