The standby bug doesn't happen anymore. However I still don't have
autoaway.

Packages, which is subscribed to empathy in Ubuntu.

  Empathy doesn't change status upon standby or screen-lock

Status in One Hundred Paper Cuts:
  New
Status in “empathy” package in Ubuntu:

  I don't know if it's an empathy bug or if it's specific to this
  distribution. Putting the computer on standby (by closing the lid) or
  waiting for it to lock the screen does not change empathy online
  status. For standby, the status is said online at the other end even
  though there is no connection (error message upon sending a message).

  I'm using Bonjour to do  the tests.

  afaik empathy auto-away is linked to gnome-screensaver, which I don't
  believe is installed in elementaryOS