I'm aware that I'm probably missing something and/or posting in the
wrong place.

I am trying to find an active bug addressing the non reveal on autohide
issue with 12.04.1 LTS.  I don't have the nvidia driver package
installed but am still suffering from the same bug.

There are a number of confirmed and incomplete bugs related to this -
Bug #971018, #923749, this one #1057000 and many more.  It is therefore
impossible to unpick what problems are actually being addressed.

The bugs seem to suggest that the problem has been narrowed down to

1 incorrect settings,
2 lack of user skill, or
3 nvidia driver problems.

However there seems is a separate problem for people who

1 cannot make the toolbar appear even with CompizConfig adjustments,
2 have fully followed the instructions on how to push to get the launcher to
appear, and
3 don't use nvidia drivers, or have tried the nvidia fix and it did not work.

I have already posted (probably incorrectly) on
https://bugs.launchpad.net/unity/+bug/971018.

Any advice on what bug to post on (to avoid further forum pollution from
yet another new bug report) would be welcome.

Packages, which is subscribed to nvidia-graphics-drivers in Ubuntu.

  [Ubuntu 12.04.1/12.10] nVidia drivers 304.51 prevent autohidden Unity
  launcher from revealing

Status in NVIDIA Drivers Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in Unity:
  Invalid
Status in “nvidia-graphics-drivers” package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in “nvidia-graphics-drivers-updates” package in Ubuntu:
  Triaged
Status in “xorg-server” package in Ubuntu:
  Triaged
Status in “nvidia-graphics-drivers” source package in Precise:
  Fix Released
Status in “nvidia-graphics-drivers-updates” source package in Precise:
  Invalid
Status in “xorg-server” source package in Precise:
  Won't Fix
Status in “nvidia-graphics-drivers” source package in Quantal:
  Fix Released
Status in “nvidia-graphics-drivers-updates” source package in Quantal:
  Triaged
Status in “xorg-server” source package in Quantal:
  Won't Fix

Bug description:
  The bug is as described in the title. Reverting to drivers 304.43
  solves the problem.

  This report is intended primarily for those suffering from this bug
  and not knowing how to solve it. Today I also reported it to nVidia,
  but it will take time for them to respond and fix it.