Page-fault-of-doom; fixed.

** Changed in: xserver-xorg-video-intel (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-video-intel in Ubuntu.

  XServer freezing on Intel IGPs

Status in “xserver-xorg-video-intel” package in Ubuntu:

  Binary package hint: xorg

  I'm running Kubuntu 10.04 64 Bit and I'm experiencing the problem that
  sometimes the X Server is freezing. I can still see the mouse cursor
  moving, audio is also still playing. But no screen update is happening
  and no screen interaction is possible anymore. Neither with the
  keyboard nor with the mouse.

  This is happening rather often when watching Flash videos in Firefox (Firefox
64 Bit 3.6.8, Flash 10.1.82.76 32 Bit with ndiswrapper). e.g. when watching
videos at http://www.ardmediathek.de this is reproducible all the time. Not
right at the beginning, but after watching videos there for a few minutes and
jumping from one video to another, moving the mouse a bit and scrolling, the
freeze is always happening.
  Rarely the problem is also occurring with other applications (usually not
easily reproducible). So it's not Firefox/Flash specific, but Firefox/Flash is
the best way to reproduce it.

  After the freeze has happened, the system is only reacting to the magic SysRQ
keys. It's also possible to logon remotely via SSH to the system.
  This way I can see that Xorg is stuck with 99% CPU load. I did try to regain
control by killing various processes starting with Firefox, plasma-desktop,...
But this doesn't help. Only a reboot is fixing this.

  It doesn't matter if Kwin desktop effects/compositing is switched on
  or off. The freeze is happening in both cases. With compositing
  switched off it's just taking a bit longer until the freeze is
  happening.

  The issue is occurring on two different computers

  One with a MSI H55M-ED55 board and Intel I5-661 CPU.
  Another one with an Intel DG33TL board and Intel Core 2 Duo E8200 CPU.
  So both with different generations of Intel IGP.

  Both running Kubuntu 10.04 64 Bit with all available updates applied.
  xserver-xorg 1:7.5+5ubuntu1 (amd64)
  xserver-xorg-video-intel 2:2.9.1-3ubuntu5 (amd64)
  The second computer did run Kubuntu 8.04 32 Bit before, where this problem
did not occur.

  On the machine with the i5 CPU/IGP I did follow the instructions at
  https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Troubleshooting/Freeze for getting an Intel
  batchbuffer dump and did reproduce the bug with the mainline/drm-
  intel-next kernel 2.6.34-997 available at http://kernel.ubuntu.com
  /~kernel-ppa/mainline/drm-intel-next/2010-06-02-lucid/

  But even with this kernel /sys/kernel/debug/dri/0/i915_error_state
  says "no error state collected". I did start apport before the
  propblem occours, but also apport didn't collect any related
  information in /var/crash.

  Xorg.0.log, dmesg, /sys/kernel/debug/dri/0/915_ringbuffer_info see
  attachments.

  Please let me know if I shall provide any further information. I will
  also try to get the batchbuffer dump on the other machine with the G33
  IGP.