Hey guys :)

It is worth knowing that ZIP archives can come with different encodings
for file names.

The old standard encoding for ZIP is CP437 [1]. Since CP437 only covers
the need of certain regions of the world, people on Windows began to use
whatever local encoding available, for example, ZIP archives created in
Simplified Chinese version of Windows uses CP936 [2].

In 2007, optional UTF-8 support is added to ZIP standard [3].
Unforunately, unzip pre-installed on Linux/Mac OS X and built-in ZIP
support of MS Windows don't support the new standard well.

I know some people want unzip be fixed but the unzip upstream seems
inactive. And unzip is a program supporting so many platforms (including
VMS!), so it may be a bit hard to hack.

I would recommend 7Z archvie to do cross-platform archive exchange since
it seems to support Unicode-based filename from day one.

1. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Code_page_437
2. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Code_page_936
3. http://www.pkware.com/documents/casestudies/APPNOTE.TXT

Packages, which is subscribed to file-roller in Ubuntu.

  Extracting a file with german "Umlaut" in the filename doesn't work

Status in “file-roller” package in Ubuntu:

  Binary package hint: file-roller

  I have received a zip containing a file with a german "Umlaut" in the
  filename. I cannot extract the file because I get the following error
  message:

  caution: filename not matched:  Liste Verwaltung und Verk\?ndigung
  Dezember 2009.xls

  I have no possibility to change the filename and eliminate the
  "Umlaut" in the filename...

  ProblemType: Bug
  Architecture: i386
  CheckboxSubmission: e27141b8feed9a0134eefdd87f008818
  CheckboxSystem: 558fbfb2a1258711a37bb7e23c5d4e6e